Sunburn, fever, sore throat, rash, headache, nausea, weakness, vision trouble, back pain. Am I still recovering from viral illness?

Question
Hi. I got severely sunburnt almost a month ago and for the last two or three weeks I have been experiencing a number of symptoms (fever, sore throat, rashes, headaches, nausea, body aches, weakness and vision trouble) which the doctor diagnosed three weeks ago as a viral illness. I am now feeling extremely faint and my head feels almost numb, headaches and vision problems are worsening, I have lower back pain and my skin is still playing up. I have also started to get indigestion, abdominal pain and sharp shooting pains all over my body. When I went to the doctor initially my blood test indicated that the alt and ggt(?) in my liver were five points higher than normal. I have also been very stressed and anxious lately. Am I still recovering from the viral illness or is there more to it? I don't want to go to the doctor again if this is all just part of the recovery.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 35 minutes later
While post viral symptoms can also present with muscle pain, headache and body aches, the liver enzymes would be raised only if the virus infected the liver as well.
From your symptoms, certain investigations to rule out the following possibilities need to be done.

1)     The first possibility is that of a fatty liver. Since your alanine aminotransferase and gamma glutaamyltransferase levels are higher, it is essential that an ultrasound of the abdomen be done to rule out this condition. Common symptoms include difficulty in losing weight, bloating, nausea, loss of appetite, fatigue and fever.
2)     Secondly, you should get Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C ruled out from a physician as they may also cause these symptoms and raised liver enzymes. These are usually diagnosed by testing the level of IgM antibodies against these viruses.

3)     Low levels of vitamin D can also cause generalized body aches which may worsen after a viral infection. Hence, an evaluation on that front is also needed.

I would suggest that you visit your physician again who can evaluate you and perform appropriate tests to rule out these conditions.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Regards.

Follow-up: Sunburn, fever, sore throat, rash, headache, nausea, weakness, vision trouble, back pain. Am I still recovering from viral illness? 26 minutes later
There's one more thing I forgot to mention. Since I got sunburnt two pimple type lesions have appeared on my shoulder. Could the symptoms I have been experiencing also be signs of ski cancer? I'm worried about the lesions as they seem to be getting bigger.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

These lesions are most likely infected hair follicles or cysts. However. it is best to keep an eye on them. If you notice changes in their color, height, size or shape, you should have a dermatologist evaluate it. Also it should be examined if it bleeds, oozes, itches, appear scaly, or become tender or painful. In that case you should get it examined from a dermatologist.