Sunburn feeling,severe muscle spasm,painful,sensitive to touch on top right side of abdomen. Reason?

Several months ago i started getting a "sunburn" like feeling on the top right side of abdomen. It kind of came and went. Now about two weeks ago while getting out of bed as i flexed my abdominal muscles i developed what appeared to be a sever muscle spasm in that same location. It was horribly painful and my stomach just below the rib cage and slightly to the right protruded out a good 2 inches in what appeared to be an unusual muscle spasm. It took a few minutes to subside. After that the soreness took two weeks to clear up. But now I have a burning and sunburn-like feeling again more dead center now just below the sternum, and it is sensitive to the touch. I also seem to be getting some sharp pains internally in the abdomen area. No other symptoms. Diet and exercise are all fine.

5'7" 180 pounds healthy eater no other health problems.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 minutes later
From your description it seems that you had a severe localized muscle spasm due to an abnormal posture. The muscular spasms sometimes take weeks to resolve.
The sunburn like feeling just below sternum can be due to costochondritis.
Inflammation of costochondral joints is mostly due to a genetic predisposition. There are some autoimmune disorders also which need to be ruled out for their association like- fibromyalgia, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis reactive arthritis, and inflammatory bowel disease (such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease).
I hope you are not having any problems related to any other joint pains and bowel movements.
Pain killers, antiinflammatory drugs- steroids and lidocaine patch are the main treatments. You need discuss all options available with your orthopedician for proper treatment.
Meanwhile doing a hot compresses will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.

Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.