Sugget treatment for slipped disc in neck

Nov 2013

Dear Dr XXXXXXX I wish to consult you about my father who is of 62 yrs. He is a patient of high BP since last 20 yrs. He was complaining about facial dystonia, tingling and numbness in left hand from last 2 yrs. I am attaching his MRI reports for your reference that we did last week . His alcohol intake is pretty high . Kindly take a look on reports and suggest what exactly it means and what kind of treatment is required . We are worried about his health . Please suggest . Regards XXXXXXX XXXXXXX 0000
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi Ms XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Thank you for posting your query regarding your father. I have noted his complaints and have gone through the MRI reports of his brain and spine. First of all, I would like to reassure you that the findings in the MRI do not suggest any serious neurological illness. MRI brain shows a calcified granuloma, which is often due to healed (inactive) tapeworm infection. This does not cause any problem, and no action is needed regarding that. MRI spine shows slipped disc in the neck region, which is pressing on the nerves. This can lead to neck pain, pain and tingling in arms, numbness in hands, etc. Treatment would consist of medications such as pregabalin capsules, and physiotherapy. He should also use a soft cervical collar. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: