Suggestions for ear blockage despite using Azelastine nasal solution?

I developed a slight head cold while overseas recently. During the airplane landing process my left ear closed up. The flight was over 1 week ago and my left ear still is closed. It has opened for shotr periods of time and then will close back up. I have tried Azelastine nasal solution on the ear, but it doesn't help. Any suggestions? XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Try the reedies first. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The blocked ear canal after a flight is usually due to a congestion related to sinus problem cold or allergies. In addition to the anti allergic solution that you are using you need a decongestant drops to take away the congestion. Doing steam treatment will also help. Put hot, slightly steaming water in a large bowl, cover your head with a towel, and rest your covered head over the steam bath. The steam may help thin out and loosen the mucus, which you can then spit out into another bowl. Try to yawn and swallow frequently. You can also use an over the counter product to remove the ear wax. If all the above said measures do not help then do consult an ENT specialist for stronger prescription medicines. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL