Suggestion for high glucose ac level?

In my last biochemistry analysis, my glucose ac is mentioned as to be high at 6.4
What should i do ?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 25 minutes later

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

Glycated Hemoglobin level (HbA1c) levels indicate your glucose levels in blood over a period of 3 months. An HbA1c of 6% or less is normal.

The following are the results when the HbA1c is being used to diagnose diabetes:
Normal: Less than 5.7% Pre-diabetes: 5.7% to 6.4% Diabetes: 6.5% or higher

If you are not a diabetic then >6.5 indicates you to have it.
If you are already a diabetic, then >7.0 indicates your glucose level control is bad and needs review of treatment.

But, having said all that levels vary minutely with lab to lab, and the exact interpretation can be had from the physician who has been seeing for long.

I hope I have answered your concern on a broad sense, now.

If you have additional questions regarding these recommendations as you prepare to make decision regarding future care, you should not hesitate to write me.

Follow-up: Suggestion for high glucose ac level? 16 minutes later
My age is 72 (male) 6.1 feet, 195 pounds

Should I be on a diet ?

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hi and thanks again,

Your BMI stands 25.7 which places you in the overweight category.

That many not mean obesity for now, but certainly not normal category too.

A healthy diet rather than starving/going low on carbohydrates is the need of the hour. Get a diet chart done by a qualified dietician, and read the finer aspects of what a good diet means. Discuss your calorie counts, read through information booklets thoroughly and be well informed not from the net, but from the booklets your dietician would give you/suggest.

Also, lifestyle changes for the better would go a long way, in case you aren't.

Hope this is helpful.