Suggested trapic mf for heavy and prolonged period. Is this medicine safe?

Hi Doctor,
For the past few times when I had periods, bleeding was very high and continued for long. One of my doctors suggested to take Trapic Mf, the day when periods started once in the morning and in the night. Can I use that tablet? Does it have any side effects?
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later

Trapic MF is a combination of tranexamic acid and mefenamic acid. It helps to decrease the uterine bleeding during the periods and also decreases the menstrual cramps that are commonly associated with the periods. The side effects are minor and are well tolerated. The common side effects include nausea, vomiting, gastritis, headache, hypotension, giddiness, etc. There are no long-term side effects.
If your bleeding is easily controlled with this medicine then you can continue taking it during your periods. However if the heavy bleeding continues then hormonal treatment after a careful assessment from a gynecologist may be needed.

Be sure to add iron supplements to your daily routine and have plenty of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and fluids during the bleeding phase to prevent due to excessive bleeding.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Suggested trapic mf for heavy and prolonged period. Is this medicine safe? 42 minutes later
Thank you doctor. During periods, it starts with very minimal bleeding (like only one pad per day). This state continues for 10 days. Is it abnormal?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If you have a mild bleeding, which persists for 10 days, and then Trapic MF will not help you. It will further reduce the bleeding and the cycle length may be increased. In that case, you can stop taking the tablet and see if the bleeding stops earlier.
As long as the periods are regular and start at the expected time every month, such prolonged bleeding is not indicative of any pathology. It can be a normal variation.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.