Suggested to insert misoprostol pills into vagina. What are the side effects?

I am going to have a sonohysterogram tomorrow, and have been advised to insert some misoprostol pills into my vagina the night before (tonight). The effects and side effects that I have read here online from pregnant women who took these seem messy and painful. Should I expect the same even though I am not pregnant and only taking this drug for my exam?

I feel I should mention, that I am perimenopausal, and have had some irregular bleeding over the past couple of months. I also have two fibroids that were found during a pelvic sonogram. This is the reason that I am having this procedure. Just thought that this bit of background might help you in answering my question more specifically...
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 47 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

No. The answer is hence, because - Misoprostol's side effects that you may have read about mostly occur with oral pills with a dosage range of about 800 microgm daily over few days. But, your situation curtails a single pessary containing approx 400 microgm that is useful primarily for softening the cervix in order for the probe of the ultrasonography that has been planned for you to pass through without causing undue pain.

You need not be worried about this drug causing menstrual issues and other con
concerns in your history getting aggravated.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.
Follow-up: Suggested to insert misoprostol pills into vagina. What are the side effects? 9 minutes later
Thank you. You have put my very active imagination at ease. This is what I thought, but wasn't sure. My appointment is for tomorrow at 2PM. It is now 12:22AM. At what time should I insert these pills?

The directions on the bottle merely say "insert the night before," but since my appointment isn't until the afternoon, I'm not sure when to do this.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Thanks for your replies.

Usually the desired effect of vaginal dilatation is achieved when inserted about 3-4 hours before the procedure.

But, you may best check with the pharmacist, as this time slightly varies with manufacturer. Ask him to give you a time in hours rather than a nonspecific "a night before".

So, early morning insertion would be a good option by my opinion if your time is around 12 PM tomorrow.

Let me know of any further concerns.