Suggested to get a septoplasmy done. How long does the correction procedure take?

ENT Specialist
Question
During a general wellness check up, the physician suggested i get a septoplasmy done. My nose has been bent sideways and downwards since my childhood. How long does the correction procedure take, what is the recovery time and what are the potential risks/side effects? Also what is the approximate cost?
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 25 hours later
Brief Answer: Not necessary if no symptoms. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. A Deviated Nasal Septum (DNS) is a very common finding in a majority of patients. 2. If there are no symptoms such as nasal obstruction, frequent colds, sneezing, nasal discharge (rhinorrhea), facial or sinus pain, headaches, sinusitis, epistaxis (bleeding from the nose) or amosmia (inability to smell), and if the DNS is only an incidental finding during a routine examination, there is no need to treat it. 3. Mild symptoms respond to medication and steam inhalation. Only a few cases of DNS require a septoplasty. 4. A septoplasty takes between an hour to three hours if other procedures such as sinus surgery, balloon sinuplasty, nasal tubinate reduction or rhinoplasty are combined. 5. A septoplasty will cost anywhere between 35k to 85k. A Septorhinoplasty will cost anywhere between 65k to 115k plus cost of disposables, stents and implants. Other procedure mentioned above will add to the cost. The type of hospital room will also affect the final billing. 6. A septoplasty require nasal packing foe 48 to 72 hrs. Newer packing agents such as Nasopore are self dissolving or dissolve with nasal washed. The healing time internally is 4-6 weeks to 4-6 months depending upon the extent of the operation. However, it is possible to resume work in a week or so. 7. Some of the complications besides the risks of anesthesia and routine surgery are septal hematoma, abscess, perforation, adhesions (synechiae) affecting airflow and changes in the shape of the nose. I hope that I have answered your query. if you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.

Follow-up: Suggested to get a septoplasmy done. How long does the correction procedure take? 9 minutes later
Thanks for your response. Off late, i have been experiencing severe sneezing. This is not regular but happens once in a while. When it starts, there is continuous running nose and sneezing for 2-3hours. I end up getting a headache as well. I am unable to identify the cause. Initially i thought it was pollen. But this has been happening inside the house and in office. Is there any short term medication i can take to stop this? What could be the possible cause? Regards, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. Severe sneezing is associated with nasal allergy. This will require medication to control. 2. Request your doctor to give you a two week trial with an anti-allergic, an anti-leukotriene, a steroid nasal spray and steam inhalation. 3. Surgery may be considered only after medical treatment given for 6-8 weeks fails. Remember to get a Sinus CT if medical management fails. 4. If this is happening at home and the office, it may a non-specific allergy. Pollen allergy is more likely to be seasonal. Fungal allergy and Stress can also cause similar symptoms. Hence the nasal examination and endoscopy is important. 5. You may share the results directly at bit.ly/Dr-Sumit-Bhatti I hope that I have answered your query. if you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.