Suggested overactive thyroid. Antithyroglobulin AB-1213 and TSH-0.006. What should I do?

Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine
My doctor said my thyroid is overactive. He want me to see specialist.

My Antithyroglobulin AB is 1213 (Range 0-40) and TSH is 0.006 (Range 0.450-4.500).
T4 is 1.78 (range 0.82-1.77).

I have a doctor's appointment next week. I am very concerned about this number.

What do I have to do now?

Thank you,
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 6 hours later

After going through your laboratory reports. it shows that you may have thyroid problem, hyperthyroidism. But no need to worry. Hyperthyroidism may be due to either overproduction of thyroid hormone or due to leaky thyroid, the later is called Thyroiditis, which is treatable with thyroid medication. Only thing is that, to know which type of thyroid disease you're suffering from can be determined by ordering few more tests which your treating Doctor might recommend you after doing physical examination.
Antithyroid medications may be prescribed to control the problem that you're facing.
If you need any other queries please feel free to ask.

With best wishes from Dr Chowhan

Follow-up: Suggested overactive thyroid. Antithyroglobulin AB-1213 and TSH-0.006. What should I do? 5 hours later
My doctor checked my neck and found no sign of thyroid problem. I have no problem to swallow. Last year's report showed perfect number of TSH. Suddenly this year this number dramatically increased. Is this due to some type some of contamination and/or stress? I did concrete work inside my house when I remodeled. I think I took too much concrete and chemical smell.

My Antithyroglobulin AB is way above the range (1213) (Range 0-40). What caused this problem? How do I treat this without using medication?
Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 9 hours later

Concrete and chemical smell do not play any role here. They are not linked to thyroid problems / thyroiditis.

I understand your doctor performed a physical exam and checked your thyroid gland externally. However the thyroid values are deranged - Anti Thyroid Antibody is high & your T4 and TSH are also not in normal range. At this point repeating the thyroid hormone may be best to know whether you suffered from transient Thyroid Problem which is called Thyroiditis. Let me also say that thyroiditis is self limiting too

In brief, thyroid disease is not stress related; though if there is existing thyroid problem , stress will precipitate the same.
At this moment no medicine is required. But if the problem persists remedial measures may be needed. A wait & watch Policy is best at present.

Hope you got the answer that you wanted. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Best of buck
Dr Chouhan
Follow-up: Suggested overactive thyroid. Antithyroglobulin AB-1213 and TSH-0.006. What should I do? 3 days later
Thank you for your reply.

Higher number of blood pressure is normal (117), but my lower number is getting higher (87 or 89). I have never had this number. My pulse is 75. Is this related to thyroid?

Can I exercise? Someone said I don't need to exercise because my thyroid is active. What kind of exercise is best for me?

How about food? Are there any foods to avoid or take?
Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 12 hours later
What I understand from "but my lower number is getting higher" is that your diastolic blood pressure is becoming higher. If yes, may I know what your previous readings were?

More over as regards your pulse rate (that is 75) is within normal range and you need now worry. Normally in hyperthyroid state your pulse rate is expected to be higher but in your case unless you are on medicine the pulse rate is really in normal range.

As regards to exercise there is no problem if you do exercise; however as in hyperthyroid there is high metabolic rate , if you perform exercise you may tend loose weight faster.
As regards food by changing food/avoiding some food it will not alter your status or change thyroid function.

The sooner you get treated for your thyroid problem the better for you.

Thanks from Dr Chowhan
Follow-up: Suggested overactive thyroid. Antithyroglobulin AB-1213 and TSH-0.006. What should I do? 2 hours later
I meant bottom number of blood pressure. Every time I checked my blood pressure, my number was within or less 120 and 80. On XXXXXXX 6, 2013, when I checked in my doctor's office, it was in the range. Now I see the bottom number is getting higher. I normally do walking and jogging for my physical activity. I don't feel any pressure in my chest, but today when I taught in the classroom, I felt shortness of breath. I thought it was because of higher blood pressure. My cholesterol level is normal.
Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 22 hours later
As I replied earlier your upper (that is called systolic pressure is within normal range) and you said your lower bp (you mean Diastolic pressure) is 87; if this is below 90, you need not worry (considering you are above 40 years of age)

However I also want to know is the pressure recorded by a Doctor/Nurse or is monitored by yourself, as there are ways to check the BP. Ideally to know your real blood pressure you need to record during morning hours as you get up from bed and the same should be recorded by health care worker for three consecutive times to know if really it is high. Rise in single reading if subsequent reading falls in normal range can be ignored. I mean, single record may turn to be fallacious.

As regards the pressure/tightness in your chest is concerned, you need to consult a cardiologist who can do ECG and if required TMT (treadmill test) besides lipid profile, etc. Also do you have family history of heart disease that is also relevant as that also raises the possibility of future risk.

I hope I made myself clear

With thanks and good wishes from Dr Chowhan