Suggested dialysis for loss of kidney function. What is the lifespan for a person who has kidney failure without dialysis?

My mother, age 75 has jsut reported tha ther kidenys ar enow at 0% and 17% function. Her Doctor has offered dialysis. She has decided against it. I understnad you are unable to say for sure---but, could you please estimate lifespan for a person who has kidney failure and decides against dialysis?
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 hours later

The 5-year survival rate of a person with ESRD (End Stage Renal Disease i.e. advanced form of renal failure) on dialysis is 30 to 50% in the US. I am sorry; the figures for those deciding out of dialysis are currently unavailable.

It seems like your mother is probably in ESRD as her kidney functions are 0% and 17%. Considering to undergo the dialysis will help improve both the quality of life and prolongation of her lifespan.

Hope this helps your mother in making a wise decision. If you have further queries, please write back.