Suggested core decompression for AVN. How much time will it take to recover from the procedure?

Question
Hi ,
My name is XXXXXX doctors are diagnose AVN and suggest core decompression please tell me how much time this will take to get fit for my job and how much painful is this therapy after operation (how many days this pain is stay)next month i will go for core decompression what r the major precautions i have to follow after this operation and for how many days.
my email id is ( YYYY@YYYY )
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Osteoporosis

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
I am sorry that you are unwell.

As far as core decompression is concerned, this is a good treatment in early stages. It involves drilling one large hole or several small hole which would relieve the pressure and allow for new blood to supply blood to the joint.Core decompression improves the blood going to the joint and results in a decrease in joint destruction.
It also helps in controlling the pain associated with AVN. So you can expect to have lesser pair post the procedure.
In most cases persons can be discharged from the hospital the same day. Depending on the extent of the drilling that is done and the extent of the lesion the person is allowed is usually allowed partial weight bearing with crutches for 4-6 weeks and full weight bearing after 6 weeks. After surgery you will have to start physiotherapy. Usually you can walk unassisted after 3 months and be pain free.Your doctor will likely restrict you to low impact activities for 12 months.

Since you will require crutches for at least 6 weeks following the procedure, you will have limited use of that joint. You will likely be off from work for at least 6 weeks.
Frequent rest periods and changing the tasks you have to do to avoid stressing the joint will be important, you will have to avoid any heavy work.

You will have to tell your doctor the exact nature of your job, so he/she can decide how much stress it might put on your joint. Based on that information they will be able to tell you exactly how long you will have to be at home.

Final outcomes would depend on several factors like the stage of the disease.
I hope that this information is helpful to you, feel free to ask any other questions