Ask a Homeopath   »  

Suggest yoga tips to reduce the belly fat

Naturopathy & Yoga Specialist
1 I would like to decrease my belly. Can you suggest me some yoga tips and let us know when to breath and breath-out.
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Yoga
Answered by Dr. Gurudatta H K 2 hours later
Hello Sir,

Thanks for writing to us

Your idea of reducing the belly is good step in the right direction. The following points are important to understand the problem and its solution thereby –

1. The most common cause of paunch is lack of exercise, long hours of sitting in wrong posture, overeating /wrong eating habits and lifestyle.

2. This could also happen due to lack of tone in the abdominal muscles due to a surgery, genetically predisposed condition and any secondary issues with the muscle itself.

3. My advice would be thus more generic and not specific. (In case you need specific advice, a personal consultation is required)

So, I advice the following to manage the same –

1. Yoga therapy is one of the best options to manage the overweight issue along with paunch.

2. Suryanamaskars are the best possible option to reduce your belly.

3. Take care to see that you learn it in a proper and scientific manner from a competent yoga therapist or yoga consultant.

4. Breathing pattern is very important while practicing Suryanamaskars. But make sure it is learnt in the right way.

5. It is not just sufficient enough to do yoga in order to reduce your belly. It is equally important to have a disciplined dietary management for the same.

6. Please consult a qualified dietician for the same.

7. A combination of yoga therapy & diet therapy can be very effective in managing your belly and overweight.

8. The most important point is that – YOU NEED TO BE CONSISTENT in your practice, otherwise do not expect things to happen your way.

9. I regret to mention that the breathing pattern for Suryanamaskars or other yoga practices should be learnt only in person and cannot be told through an email, if that needs to be learnt in the right way.

Hope to have answered your query to a large extent. For any other clarifications, you can email me without any hesitation.

With best wishes,

Dr H K Gurudatta, BNYS