Suggest ways to increase my height?

i am 24 yrs now. my height is like 5 feet 2 inch and half. my mum is shorter then me and my dad is 5,5. please is it possible to increase my height 2,3 inch and is there is any thing. i m so frustrated with my life because of my height. and my girlfriend is 5,5. is there is any solution. thanks.
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!

I am sorry for your problem. I can understand your concern. First of all, I want to reassure that your height is good enough not very short compared to other people on an average.

The ultimate height of a person is usually genetically determined. A person, after the fusion of his growth plates in long bones (epiphysis) stops growing in height naturally. This most commonly occurs during the age of 16-20 yrs in males.

Regarding your query, there are few surgeries which apply the famous Ilizarov's technique to help in increasing height after the fusion of epiphysis of long bones. However, these procedures are complicated as well as require a lot of cooperation from patient and doctor side. The reason for this is the patient needs about 12 months of bed rest along with measures to control pain which is little difficult. By these kind of procedures about 6-8 cm of increase in height is possible. Morevoer, there will be only few medical centers which perform these kind of procedures.

Hope this helps!

Please let me know if you have any further queries!

Dr Vasanth