Suggest vitamins to be taken after a total colectomy

General Surgeon
I had total colectomy 4 months ago. I am still having 6-8 bowel movements most days. My diet is bland-no salads or raw vegetables and very little fruit yet. I have heard that it is very important to take vitamins daily because having had the surgery. I take Calcium with VitaminD for osteoarthritis. Do I need any brand mullti-vitamin? or some in particular? I will need to take chewable or liquid becuse of the surgery. (I had to stop taking Tramadol ER daily because I was finding the tabs in the toilet, undissolved, thus not being absorbed. I was prescribed the 50mg 3x day, crushed, instead.) I read that vitamins were especially needed and important for me to take now. Do you think this is important? and I would like to have your opinion and recommendation for exactly what I should be taking. Thank you,XXXX
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 3 hours later
Brief Answer: It's good to take multivitamin syrup Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms XXXXXXX As you must be aware the majority of the nutrient absorption takes place in the small intestine so nutritional supplements is not necessary provided you are consuming a well balanced nutritious diet. Colon maim function is absorption of water from formed stools, it helps in conserving water and also causes formation of well formed hard stools from semi liquid contents entering the colon from small intestine. Over a period of time usually 1 to 1 1/2 years this function of the colon is slowly taken over by small intestine especially the illeum by a mechanism known as adaption. So having 6 tk 8 bowel movements per day is perfectly acceptable provided there is no weight loss. As majority of the times the individual may not be consuming well balanced diet, nutritional supplements especially multi vitamin syrup is essential. It will definitely be useful. So I would suggest you the following 1. Eat small quantity of frequent meal instead of three large meals per day. It will be more helpful in absorption. 2. Amino acid supplements especially L Arginine Granules taken in water will be helpful. It will help in intestinal adaption and as well as provide amino acid 3. Consumption of yoghurt and curd is advisable 4. Restrict intake of oily and spicy food and avoid caffeinated beverages. 5. Multi Vitamin supplement syrup Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Wishing you happy and healthy life. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon