Ask a Urologist   »  

Suggest treatment using these urine test results

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
My 10 years daugher had ear pain and ENT doctors gave her certain medicine. Though her ear problem eased, she had fever even after 6-7 days. On urine routine it was found that she has albumin: 3+, Leucocytes esterase: Trace, Pus Cells: 2-3, RBC: 3-4. Kindly suggest my next course of action.
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: continue /change of antibiotic according to report Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic. It is good that the ear pain eased. The ENT specialist must have given her an antibiotic and supportive medicines. Would like to know the details. What are the blood reports? Is she having frequent urination or vomiting? I would advise to get further reports like culture sensitivity of urine, repeat urine test after 3 days. The urine report is showing albumin of 3+ is a small worry and few pus cells and RBC suggests infection which can also appear in typhoid. The pain in abdomen again could have been due to typhoid or secondary to upper respiratory tract infection (which caused pain in ear) giving rise to abdominal lymph nodes to enlarge and cause pain. A Widal test can be taken to rule out typhoid fever. Certainly an Ultrasonography is needed to see for lymph nodes and the status of kidneys and bladder as with other organs. Hope it helps. Dr Chandrakant
Follow-up: Suggest treatment using these urine test results 4 hours later
ENT Doctor gave medicines which are as follows: 1.Sporidex 250 Redimix Susp --- Dosage 10ml two times daily for 5 Days 2.Teczin Syp--- Dosage 5ml – 0 – 5 ml for 5 Days 3. Ibugesic Plus susp 100 ml --- 10 ml three times daily for 5 Days 4. Sinarest PD Nasal Drop --- 2 Drops twice daily for 5 Days Presently she has fever on specific time that is from anywhere between 0.00 Hrs to 3.00 Hrs in morning. For fever doctor has asked us to give Crocin Syrup. Now doctor has advised not to give any medicine except for Cefixime 100 mg morning & evening or crocin only in case of fever. I will definitely do test for ruling out typhoid. Am I going in the right direction Doctor because I am quite worried as for now.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Good choice of Antibiotic Detailed Answer: HI Thanks for your response. You are absolutely going in the right direction. IF the fever is on specific time please do tests for malaria also. And Sonography of abdomen as I have already suggested. The Choice and doses of Cefixime and crocin is absolutely right. Please continue. Give her plenty or oral fluids. She would be fine soon. Please keep me posted how is she...
Follow-up: Suggest treatment using these urine test results 2 days later
R/ Doctor, for the last two days, my daughter has no fever & cold is also now little bit. Today we checked for urine routine, result is Albumin: 1+, Pus Cells: 4-6. epithelial cells: 15-20. Blood report shows WBC count as 5600 /ul, wbc morphology: few a typical lymphocytes seen, platelets: Thrombocytosis, monocytes: 10.6. Sonography: Normal. I am still worried as Albumin: 1+. Medicine that is going on is half tablet of cefixime two times.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Albumin will settle fully- Cefixime for 14 days. Detailed Answer: Hi. Good evening. This a great news that there is no fever now for 2 days. Now the urine is showing albumin of 1 + ( which was 3 +). This finding is due to pus cells and be assured about it. As the time and treatment goes on this will definitely settle more to normal. So do not worry. The sonography is normal means even the kidneys are normal. Please continue with cefixime for a complete 14 days course for the cure of urinary tract infection, plenty of oral fluids, as much as she can tolerate to flush out urinary system. Awaited for Widal ( typhoid ) report, you have not mentioned. I hope by this time your Princes must have been playing well.