Suggest treatment to stop smoking

Hi i have been a smoker for the last 15 years. Have tried giving up the habit several times however tend to come back to smoking in 15 or 20 days. The unfortunate part is that you have to constantly fight with your brain and once you give in you are hooked back again I want to check if there is any safe medication that i can take. I have no issues with the urge as i usually dont smoke on holidays and weekends. I have an allery to pain killers such as brufen, combiflam, dispirin, etc. paracetamol is something that works fine fir me Please suggest if there is any medical help that i can get to overcome this habit
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes there is Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Smoking is a difficult habit to kick of but its not impossible. There are many different therapies for nicotine dependance but I follow one of them which is the most useful. For my patients i generally shift them to nicogum which they take 2mg of it as required during the initial days and also start them on Bupropion.I make them decide a cut of date for smoke on that date (in 5-10 days) they stop smokins completely. There after along with bupropion, I also advise them to take Varenicline- a new drug in quiting smoking. And yes, all these therapies are accompanied with intense motivational interviewing. You should get hold of a good psychiatrist who can guide you on this path. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment to stop smoking 11 minutes later
Are these medicines safe for me as i have stated sone allergy i have on pain killers
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes they are safe Detailed Answer: Hello Yes they are safe medications and your allergy to pain killers may not have anything to do with the allergy to these medications. Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Follow-up: Suggest treatment to stop smoking 4 minutes later
Do these tablets have brufen or sulphur which i am alergic to - thanks
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hello No they are not painkillers and have neither of them- sulphur or brufen. regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy