Suggest treatment to reduce ear itching

ENT Specialist
My two year's old baby always complaints that her ear is itching. I took her to ENT specialist he prescribe me ofloxacin ear drops for six days but is not helping. please advice.
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Add an anti-allergic, rule out other conditions. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. An anti-allergic syrup will help reduce the itching. 2. Assuming that the ofloxacin ear drops were prescribed for an ear infection, it is now necessary to have a re-look into the ear to rule out other conditions such as: a. ear wax, flakes of dry ear wax, b. fungal infections, c. discharging ears or blocked ears with fluid buildup (the ear drum must be seen), d. a foreign body (esp. if one sided), e. an active cold, eustachian tube dysfunction, adenoid hypertrophy, f. skin related conditions, and do so on... 3. Keep her head propped up while she is fed as the eustachian tube is shorter, wider and more horizontal than in adults and milk (and cold, phlegm) can easily infect or irritate the ear. 4. It is important to note that itching may also be a sign of healing. It may also be a referred sensation form the teeth (teething), nose, throat, neck, chest or stomach. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.