Suggest treatment to get sound sleep

Hello, I am facing problems in getting sound sleep. I have to leave early for office and hence I need to get up early at 6:30 AM everyday. To get up early, I need to sleep XXXXXXX by 11PM. I am in bed by 10:30 PM, but I cant sleep before 1 AM. So my daily sleep need is never complete and I am stressed the whole day and feel tired. Please help.
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Life style modifications. Relax. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX I went through the query and understood your concern. For getting sound sleep I like to advice you to follow few measures, 1. Go to bed only when you feel really sleepy. Use the bed only for sleeping purpose and do some activities like reading a book etc till you feel sleepy. 2. Have food at least 30 min to 1 hour before going to bed and have a walk for 10-15 min. Don't eat stomach full of food and have good amount of fluids. 3. Never sleep in day time. If you want then maximum of 10-15 minutes small nap. 4. After your dinner don't watch televisions or browse internet as this will keep your brain more active and avoid getting sleep. 5. Never think about the office works while on bed. 6. If above measures fails then listen to pleasing music for 10-15 minutes before bed. Don't force yourself to sleep. If you feel you can't sleep even after 30 minutes of being in bed, go out of the bedroom and do some other activity till you feel sleepy. 7. Do regular exercise (better is out door exercise) for 30 minutes a day. This will help in maintaining the circadian rhythm and also your health. Practice relaxation techniques like Yoga. 8. Avoid coffee, cigarette and alcohol. 9.Get up at the same time every morning regardless of how you slept the previous night. 10. If you are over weight / obese then also there may be problem in getting sound sleep. So loosing weight with diet and exercise will help you most. If these measures fails I advice you to get checked by your doctor (physician) and get evaluated once. There are good medicines to induce sleep like benzodiazepines but before starting any of the medicines I prefer to follow above said measures and if no improvement you can choose for medicines with doctors advice. I hope all these information helps you. Feel free to ask if any related queries and I will be glad to help you. Wish you good health and sound sleep during night. Regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment to get sound sleep 8 hours later
Hello, Thanks for your quick reply. Can you let me know ideally how many hours of sleep is required at my age? FYI, i never sleep during afternoon. Since, once I sleep for even 30 mins in afternoon then I cant sleep before 1-2 am 7. Do regular exercise (better is out door exercise) for 30 minutes a day. This will help in maintaining the circadian rhythm and also your health. Practice relaxation techniques like Yoga. Can you please elaborate which exercises, relaxation technique, yoga you are talking about? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: 6-8 hours. Deep breathing exercises Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing back. Ideally 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep is good. If more stressful life then 8 hours is good for your age. The exercises I meant are aerobics, jogging, swimming and cycling. Relaxation techniques are many. There is no single relaxation technique that is best for everyone and you have to practice one that fits you most. Some techniques are like pranayama (deep breathing exercises), meditation, listening to light music, visualisation technique (Close your eyes and imagine your restful place, imagine all minute things like birds singing, sun rising, movement of grass or leaves) etc. Yoga involves a series of both moving and stationary poses, combined with deep breathing. As well as reducing anxiety and stress, yoga can also improve flexibility, strength, balance, and stamina. Hope this answers your question. Feel free to ask if any further queries. Wish you good health. Regards