Suggest treatment to control hairfall and reduce dandruff

Jan 2014

As i know we cant stop hair fall, so to control hair falls and reduce dandruff which hair oil is best?
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Antidandruff shampoo twice or thrice weekly Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX Hair loss can be due to various reasons: --Androgenetic Alopecia --Telogen effluvium (Post stress i.e medical, surgical, psychological) --Alopecia Areata --Secondary to various disease of the scalp like Seborrheic Dermatitis, Lichen Planus, Discoid Lupus Erythematosus. Scalp hair grows (Anagen phase) for 2-3 years and is then shed (Telogen or Resting phase) to make way for new hair growth cycle. Normally 15-50 hairs (Telogen hairs) are shed daily as part of normal hair cycling process. Dandruff or Seborrheic Dermatitis is common cause of hair fall. Dandruff if controlled effectively by anti-dandruff shampoo/lotion also reduces the hair fall consequent of dandruff. Hair oils which are traditionally applied by Indians actually has no role in controlling dandruff and hair fall resulting from it. It actually worsens dandruff and can also lead to scalp folliculitis. So, I advice my patients of Seborrheic dermatitis to avoid all oily, greasy products and hair oil on scalp. The goal is to keep the scalp as clean as possible. Seborrheic dermatitis/dandruff is because of 2 main causes: Yeast (Malassezia fungus) and Inflammation. Therefore, any therapy which targets either or both of these is effective in seborrheic dermatitis and thus the resultant hair fall. OTC antidandruff shampoos contain 1% to 2% ketoconazole and can be used twice or thrice weekly. Ketoconazole is anti-fungal as well as anti-inflammatory and is usually effective in controlling mild to moderate dandruff. Lather it and allow it to act on your scalp for at least 5-7 minutes and then rinse it with water. If you do not benefit from ketoconazole based shampoo or it makes the hair fall worse then i would advice that you visit a dermatologist. Your dermatologist might ask you to use a different anti-dandruff shampoo containing various new generation anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory ingredients like Ciclopirox olamine, piroctone olamine, Climbazole etc. It is also advisable to consult a dermatologist if your dandruff does'nt respond to conventional anti-dandruff shampoos because severe/ resistant dandruff could also be because of an underlying condition like Scalp Psoriasis. Hope this information helps you. take care regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment to control hairfall and reduce dandruff 9 minutes later
But main concern is that if I didnot apply oil to hair more than 4-5 days, hair fall increases. And I am using L'Oreal Fall repair shampoo. Can I continue with this or change it?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Switch to Anti-Dandruff shampoo Detailed Answer: Hi. I think you should switch to an anti-dandruff shampoo as i mentioned above. Unless and until you address your dandruff you cant expect your hair fall to stop. Use an anti-dandruff shampoo for 2-4 weeks regularly for it to show the results. If you really desire, you can use hair oil 2 hours before shampoo Or else you can use a hair conditioner after shampoo. regards