Suggest treatment ofr recurring UTI and diabetes

Yes, 85 year old female, constant UTI's quite frequently. Other main problem is diabetes. Pleae give answer as she is wanting to know ow this can help. Thanks. Sorry, right now I have no e-mail working. So we'll have to chat t this way
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, ,get her diabetes well controlled! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this repeated UTI's. There are a number of factors which predispose clients to recurrent urinary tract infections. One of the is a poorly controlled diabetes. A poorly controlled diabetes causes sugar to spill into urine. Because germs easily grow on glucose, they multiply rapidly and cause an infection. the infection would in turn make the control of diabetes difficult further fueling the infection. This would inevitably lead to repeated hospitalisations. Tackling her sugar control is the key. If this should be well controlled which I very much doubt, the other factors that favour infections like kidney stones, urine back flow from the bladder to the kidneys, incomplete bladder emptying etc. In all, investigating for predisposing factors and controlling them is the nest approach. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish her the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.