Suggest treatment for wrist pain after an accidental fall

My name is XXXX I am 18 I fell off my bed about an hour ago on my wrist but there is not bruising or swelling I am in a lot of pain now and I cannot move it or bend or it wave it up or down at all It's my right wrist the one I write with and I don't know what it is
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Most likely a sprain, apply ice. Detailed Answer: Hello Ms XXXXXXX Thanks for writing in. A fall on wrist will, often times causes sprains, fractures or dislocations. It is not possible to say what might have happened in your case, but based on your description, I suspect it to be a sprain. All acute injuries will be painful, since you say that there is no swelling, for now I suggest you to apply ice to the area and see if it gets any better. It is mandatory to keep the wrist immobile for a few weeks by applying a splint or a brace, that would require you to pay a visit to the ER. Your wrist needs to be looked at by a doctor to rule out any fractures, some times small hairline fractures do not result in an overt swelling, so that needs to be ruled out by an X-ray. Apply ice for now, and please do visit ER for further treatment and proper diagnosis. For pain relief, you might need some painkillers, for immediate relief you can take over the counter medicines such as motrin or tylenol. Hope this answers your question, please feel free to write back if you have any doubts. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Regards.