Suggest treatment for viral gastroenteritis

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My 11 months old son is having frequent bowel movements, about 5 times a day, since 26th January. the consistency is soft, only 3 instances of runny stools. he is teething. a routine culture of stool showed traces of mucus, 1-2/ hpf pus cells, and everything else is negative. i am giving him sips of ORS, and BRAT diet. but still he is passing soft stool after every meal. he takes formula now. do i give him any medicine, and what else can i feed him apart from BRAT?also can i continue giving him his vitamins like arbivit3 and bevon drops?
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Should be viral , will settle soon Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to health care magic. Based on your history and reports it looks like tour kid has viral gastroenteritis. Already looks like he is in the recovery phase. The stool report shows no evidence of bacterial infection, so no need for antibiotics. You can continue bevon and arbivit drops . Continue BRAT diet. Give him ORS . You can also add probiotics like enterogermina once daily . I usually prescribe zinc drops 10 mg once a day for such infants for total 14 days. Zinc helps in faster recovery and prevents further episodes. Make sure he is passing enough urine atleast 6 times a day. Usually takes a week for complete recovery.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for viral gastroenteritis 40 minutes later
Thank you for your time and answer. I also need to know, can I give him pomegranate juice, also can i continue with his milk feeds? he takes NanPro2, about 4 oz twice daily and 8 oz once at night. I have started giving him Zn20 suspension from today, 2.5 ml twice daily. is that ok or should I give him some other Zinc drop? When can I start giving his normal diet and resume feeding him mashed vegetables, fish, chicken etc? which vegetables should be ok? thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Arun 2 hours later
Brief Answer: See below Detailed Answer: 1. You can give pomegranate juice . 2. Continue Nan pro 2. 3. Continue zn20 . No need to change to other forms. 4. Start regular diet preferably after a week. 5. Any vegetable can be given. 6. Add probiotics like I had suggested earlier . Regards