Suggest treatment for upper respiratory infection

Ive had a very stuffy nose for quite a few weeks its a bit better now. and i feel a lump in my throat just below the XXXXXXX XXXXXXX . I also get tingles and little tweaking pains in my chest and shoulders and recently my neck just around where my pulse is to left and right of XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and alsoJust to left or right of the breast bone in my chest.. I get an uncomfortable feeling after i eat certain foods.. I have tried reflux medicine but it didnt help.. Im visiting an ENT specialist on tuesday. Is there any certain questions i can ask him to help mine and his investigation.. Im also coughing up some phlegm but i think i did have an undiagnosed chest infection 2 weeks ago.. Its wierd with the lump in my throat because i constantly feel aware of it and in the past 3 months ive had a panic attack and i have some anxiety which is very unlike me due to my health.. I must mention i recently gave up smoking marijuana about 5 weeks ago. I was a daily user before this.. Do you know anything about the adverse long term effects that giving up pot might cause? Anything you can tell me about some of my symptoms and problems would be a great help.. Thank you. XXXX
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Respiratory infection Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query From the description you have given it sounds like you might be having a upper respiratory infection which needs to be treated with antibiotics, a very close differential for the problem is enlargement of the thyroid. Here are my suggestions on how to go about the investigation 1. Get x ray of the neck and chest Antero-posterior view and lateral view 2. Order for complete blood count and thyroid function test 3. If the above two are normal I suggest you undergo endoscopy which is a definitive procedure to look for any obstruction in the throat Long standing Marijuana smokers are at increased risk of lung cancer. Withdrawal from it causes depression, mood swings, anxiety, etc which gets better after a few weeks I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish you good health Regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for upper respiratory infection 35 minutes later
What would the symptoms of an enlarge thyroid be?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Thanks for the quick reply Symptoms of the enlarged thyroid gland depends on the size of the enlarged gland. However some of the symptoms patients might face are 1. Cough 2. Difficulty in swallowing or feeling of lump in the throat while swallowing 3. Change of voice 4. In extremely rare cases it might compromise the respiratory passage and cause difficulty in breathing I hope I was of help to you Regards