Suggest treatment for upper respiratory infection

ENT Specialist
I've been self medicating an upper respiratory infection or cold for more than a week. Now I'm getting a reoccurring fever with a persistent cough. The mucus I cough up is beginning to look bloody and I hear crackling in my breathing. What should I do now to cure this?
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: lung infection Detailed Answer: Hi Mr XXXXXXX Thanks for your query on XXXXXXX Blood in sputum is suggestive of bronchitis. It can also be infection of the lung - Pneumonia. You will require a chest X- Ray to confirm the diagnosis and may be some basic blood work. Your sputum will need examination - culture to identify the organism and sensitivity testing to decide on the antibiotic. You have to see your doctor to get the prescription for these tests and get the appropriate treatment. You can take Paracetamol for the fever after checking the dosage which depends on your weight. Feel free to follow up, Regards, Dr Rajkishori.