Suggest treatment for unretractable foreskin

Hi I am 21 years old and my forskin is very tight, up until the last week or so I have never been able to pull it back beyond the head of my penis. I can now in a warm bath but is painful, my penis has white stuff on it that is not washing away in the bath, and is very sensitive too touch. I went to my gp and he advised circumcision as my only option. This I do not want. I have read about steroid creams etc. and would like to work at trying to stretch the forskin. Can you offer me any advice . Thank you
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: steroid cream effect varies from person to person Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for your query. The unretractable foreskin is called Phimosis and the white stuff is apparently a parasitic + fungal infection. In untreated Phimosis, the incidence of infections is very high and may even lead to cancer of penis. The ideal treatment is either partial/complete circumcision. Also, with recent advances in surgical treatment, plastic surgery can treat Phimosis. The advantage of this approach is that the foreskin, or much of it, can be preserved. The disadvantage is that phimosis can recur. However, there are reports that suggest use of steroid ointment may correct Phimosis in 35-90% cases. But, prolonged use of steroid ointment can damage the surface of glans penis, apart from inviting frequent infections. I would therefore advise you to give a 1-2 months' trial of steroid ointment application and go in for circumcision/Plastic surgery if there is no response. Sexual intercourse would be very unsatisfying and painful if Phimosis is not treated. Further, pending correction of Phimosis, strict maintenance of hygiene is very essential. For the penile infection, a 10-14 days' use of a cream containing Metronidazole + clotrimazole, will cure the infection. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Take care, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for unretractable foreskin 32 minutes later
My doctor gave me no cream for the infection, he said the May be smegma but he could not see enough of it to tell. It could be a few months before I see a specialist. When the white stuff started I tried a cream for yeast infection and used it once a day for about 8 days, it seems it have made it less inflamed but has not cleared the white away. I have also added Epsom salt to my bath. I am concerned about the white stuff under the for skin, what can I use if my Doctor has not prescribed anything? He suggested it may come off with a good scrubbing but it has not helped so far and it painful.should of probably mentioned that I am not nor have I ever been sexually active.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Partical Circumcision is the best option Detailed Answer: Production and presence of smegma is normal. But, it does not get attached to the underlying surface and comes off easily on scrubbing, while an infection does. Use of anti-yeast cream is required for a longer period, depending on the number of skin layers involved. Further, application of the cream (thrice daily) directly over the infected area will eradicate infection, while the infection under the foreskin will persist as the cream will not reach there. You may therefore take 2 weeks' course of oral anti-fungal drug, such as, fluconazole, along with Metronidazole. I personally feel that partial circumcision is the best and easiest solution to all problems, including those anticipated in future.