Suggest treatment for uncontrolled diabetes

I am 46 years and diabetic for the last 7 years after i suffered a bout of subcutaneous vasculitis for 5 years. I have now been back on my feet and cycle 35kms a day when i am not travelling. Offlate my sugars are not at all coming under control. I have FBPS of 140 and PPS in the range of 180 to 200. When i got HB1c done on november it was 8.9. My medication currently is Jalra(M) + Gluocar 50mg in the morning and Gemer2 + Gluocar 50mg in the evening. Is there any other oral medication or life style change i need to incorporate ?? Also, i check my FBPS at around 5am in the morning before i head cycling. I have breakfast of Oats / Cerals / Upma at around 9AM and my PPS at 10:40 would measure 180 ~200
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...given below. Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. This is definitely a problem which every type 2 diabetic suffers where the efficacy of oral antidiabetic medicines gradually gets reduced because of continued destruction of beta cells of pancreas.These beta cells are responsible for production of insulin.Over a period of time when beta cells are completely destroyed,then one needs to use injection insulin for control of his blood sugar levels. Now coming to your uncontrolled sugar levels,there can be various ways which can be adopted. 1.. You can start taking ZALRA -M twice a day and can see the response. 2.. You can even increase the dose of GEMER 2 from once a day to twice a day. By increasing the present dosage of these medicines,you can definitely control your sugar levels. In case it is still not controlled,you may even add a long acting insulin like LANTUS which can be taken as single dose in the night everyday. Carry on with your exercises and dietary control measures. Make sure to keep your blood pressure levels below 120/80 and LDL cholesterol to be below 80 and triglycerides to be below 150. You must talk to your treating doctor and discuss with him. There is no reason why your diabetes can not be controlled. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks