Suggest treatment for ulnar neuropathy

During a stay in the hospital 10 days(11/1-11/10) for intestinal surgery, I developed ulnar neuropathy in the right hand(11/1-11/10) which has hampered my favorite activities; tennis, piano and clarinet. What can I do restore my hand to normalcy?
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: NSAIDS, Splints, Physiotherapy, ergonomic change Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. The cure for ulnar nerve entrapment neuropathy may take time to cure. Our aim is to control the symptoms like pain and regaining the old strength and motion. 1. Avoid activities that require you to keep your arm bent for long periods of time. 2. If you use a computer frequently, make sure that your chair is not too low. Do not rest your elbow on the armrest. Correction of ergonomics at work or with a home computer may be all that is required. 3. Avoid leaning on your elbow or putting pressure on the inside of your arm. For example, do not drive with your arm resting on the open window. 4. Keep your elbow straight at night when you are sleeping. This can be done by wrapping a towel around your straight elbow or wearing an elbow pad backwards. Splints to be used at night also available for this purpose 5. Use Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as aspirin, ibuprofen will be helpful in reliving pain and reducing inflammation. 6. strengthening the ligaments and tendons in the hands and elbows by Physical therapy. This needs Physiotherapist advice and follow up. Please follow the instructions given above. You will get better soon. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.