Suggest treatment for tumor on right carotid artery in neck

im 51 and was just told today after an ultrasound that I have a 2cm tumor on my right carotid artery in my neckI I c an ENT tommorow! Pretty worried Is this something that can be fixed easily or shoud I be really concerned? Are they rarely cancerous? And what about the outcome? Really concerned about a stoke?
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Everything depends on nature of tumor Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for the query. There would be several possibilities about the nature of this growth, so I presume that further imaging with CT and MRI will be in order to better understand what we are dealing with. Most of the time, removal of a mass is the only way to know by the tissue what we should expect from the growth. In that particular location, carotid body tumors can be found, they are usually benign growths with little or none cancerous potential, but can grow and cause local pain or compression. Again, that would be an assumption just based on the location. Try to relax, we will certainly need more information before we jum into any conclusions, so Im glad you are seeing ENT promptly. Hope this helps, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic Cardiology