Suggest treatment for tiny,red and inflamed mole on my baby's head

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Hello, My son is 11 months old and I discovered a tiny mole on the top of his head (on his hairline) about 2-3 weeks ago. When I touched it, it felt more like a scab. I thought that was odd, but because it looked like a black head, I tried to squeeze it. When I did that it broke off and I could see that there was a tiny hole in its place with something inside (black). I am concerned because I am not sure if its a clogged pore, ingrown hair, or if its a tick and the head got detached from the body. It has not gone away. I have been using Vaseline and neosporin, but now it looks a little bigger (scab is about a millimeter) and it feels like a bump. There is redness around out and I don't know understand what it could be. Are you able to help me?
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Appears as inflammatory lesion Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX On seeing the scab lesion, it is evident that the lesion is well circumscribed and is surrounded by red inflamed area. The red inflamed area is suggestive of an inflammatory lesion. Application of neosporin ointment will control the infection. You can continue using it. However, do not scratch off the scab and allow it to heal. In case, the lesion is painful, you can take painkiller. If the lesion does not clear away within few days, you can consult your doctor. If you have any query, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for tiny,red and inflamed mole on my baby's head 1 hour later
I understand it is a lesion and its infected. The scab means that its heeling, but it has already been 5 days. Are you able to tell me if a some type of bug can cause this or can ingrown hairs do this?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Lesion has healed,difficult to determine the cause Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, At this pint of time it is difficult to say whether it was due to ingrown hair or bug bite as the lesion has healed. Thanks and take care Dr Shailja P Wahal