Suggest treatment for tingling and hot/cold sensation in feet?

Dec 2012

My feet tingle and feel hot and/or cold. My legs feel unusually cold even in ambient temp.My family doc Rx gabapentin (neurotin) with no effect. What other neuropathic meds might be effective?
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Numerous medications available Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX I am very sorry for your health troubles and wish that I can provide some insight into your situation. If you are experiencing those symptoms it means you are suffering from a form of neuropathy which could most likely be due to diabetes (even though you mentioned that it has been under control) or could be due to aging or vitamin B12 deficiency. Most at times, in my clinic, I treat patients with tricyclic antidepressants such as amitriptylin (given for short term periods to avoid depency) and also combine it with vitamin b complex supplements. About 80% of my patients often get temporary relief for a couple of months after which the conditions reappears. I realized that with most of them, it is usually because of poor control of their blood sugar but in the majority of cases, it is because of irreversible damage to peripheral nerve supply which can only be symptomatically managed with majority of the treatment depending on patient's acceptance of the condition. A neurologist will also be able to handle this situation will better results. Hope this helps and wish you a better health. Dr. Nsah