Suggest treatment for tibia displacement due to a fracture

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I need an opinion from an orthopedidic doctor. My son broke his tibia and fibula about 3 weeks ago. I have xrays I can email. My concern is that the tibia bone slid about 5mm and is out of allignment. The doctor treated this injury with a boot, no cast and tells me that the movement isnt an issue.
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: 5mm displacement is acceptable. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I have gone through the x-rays attached. Proper immobilization of fracture is required for healing. Movement at fracture site will hamper the healing process. In the xray attached, fracture is in good contact and 5mm displacement is acceptable. So do not worry about it and consult an orthopaedician for proper immobilization of fracture. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for tibia displacement due to a fracture 1 hour later
Thank you. The fracture is currently stabilized with an orthopedic boot. The injury is 3.5 weeks old. Will the boot serve as proper stabilization at this point or should I request a cast?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Boot is ok for stabilization Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query again. Generally by this time fracture become sticky. So boot is ok for stabilization of fracture at this point. Hope this will helps you.