Suggest treatment for throat pain after a fever

May 2014

hello doc..I have pain in upper throat..for past one week...which I got after a fever for 2 days... I took paracetamol 2 times...fever went down..throat pain started..I have mild running to recover from this throat cough yet
Posted Tue, 25 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. It looks like you had a flu attack one week back followed by pharyngitis which can be due to viral or bacterial infection. Flu is caused by a virus and may cause many symptoms from fever to throat pain and is not always associated with cough. As it is a week that you are suffering and your symptoms are not improving, I suggest you go to a doctor and get it confirmed if you are having bacterial throat infection or not. If your symptoms are worsening and show no signs of improvement then you are having bacterial infection. If confirmed you may need to take a course of antibiotics. If your symptoms are improving then it was a viral infection and you need to take rest, keep away from dust, do salt water gargling and drink lots of fluids. Avoid talking loudly for a few days. You will get well in a week. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek