Suggest treatment for throat infection inspite of having previously an ear infection

Does this look like strep throat? throat feels a little tight too. not hurting really but swollen. previous ear infection finishing amoxacillin today 14 day course. been around someone who had strep throat.
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: NO Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear abut this previous ear infection and exposure to strep throat. From the review of this information and the image that you have provided, this is not a strep throat. In real terms, the throat is not even swollen and shows no signs of any active infection. Having been on amoxicillin for the past 14days, this would have eradicated any strep sore throat that even attempted to show up because this is one of the preferred drugs to treat strep sore throat. I hope this helps and addressed your query fully. I wish you the best of health. If you have more questions or need any clarifications, please feel free to ask me and and I will gladly address them. Thanks for using our services. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for throat infection inspite of having previously an ear infection 1 hour later
my tonsils or whatever those thing in picture are twice the normal size
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Brief Answer: It is not diagnostic of strep sore throat Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for following up with me. The sizes of your tonsils may have doubled but, that is not what we use to make the diagnosis of strep sore throat. The main observation that leads to this diagnosis is inflammation of these glands and that is totally absent from your uploaded image. There is nothing suggestive of a strep throat here and I am totally unable to justify that based on the findings of this image. The tonsils are a collection of lymph nodes meant to find against infections. Their sizes would increase in size if there is an infection in one of the areas it drain but it would be inflamed if there is a an infection of this gland commonly referred to as tonsilitis. You must have heard of hypertrophied glands being removed. It is not because they are infected but because of various reasons(infections or repeated infections in the area it takes care of), it has become bigger in size though represents no active infection. I hope this clarifies your doubts and provides more information for you to act on. Feel free to ask for more related questions or request for clarifications if need be. Thanks for using our services. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for throat infection inspite of having previously an ear infection 2 minutes later
What can I do to treat?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: For now nothing! Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for this follow up query. Just like you can observe a swollen lymph node in your armpit, groin, etc during an infection on your hand or leg, it should normally regress all by itself. If it fails, then we shall look at it. Beside, so along as it is not causing any symptoms, there is no need to et worried because I deal with clients daily who live with a lot bigger tonsils that cause no problem. For how long have you noticed this increase in size? Do you have any other symptoms like snoring at night and difficulties breathing? Also, how often do you get tonsilitis? These are the guiding points in making the decision for further investigation and management of this. When I get these answers, I will be able to recommend going for further care or not. Thanks and hope to make a recommendation based on the above. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for throat infection inspite of having previously an ear infection 9 minutes later
Had cold recently ear infection. throat bothering me for a couple days now. A little shortness of breath. slight cough. l fullness feeling in top of throat. little post nasal drainage. yes snore sometimes. don't get tonsillitis very often.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Thanks for this follow up. Detailed Answer: These symptoms are far from suggesting a possible indication for surgical tonsillectomy. There is just no reason for that and I will advice that you stop getting worried by this. Post nasal drainage is often a sign of sinus problems. If you get allergies quite often, then this may be a reason for you having sinus problems with this postnasal drainage. How are you feeling right now? Are you still having symptoms suggestive of a strep sore throat? In all, there is no red flag that requires an overnight emergency intervention. I hope this helps. I wish you well and fell free to keep the discussion going if you have further related questions and I will gladly respond to. Dr. Ditah, MD.