Suggest treatment for terrible headache

I've been suffering from a terrible headache for the last 4 days. It runs across my forehead and down into my temples. The pain gets worse when I stand up, lean forward or tilt my head back. I don't have a blocked nose, sore throat or a fever. In fact I seem to have a heightened sense of smell. I've just been taking pain killers to manage the pain but they don't help much. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Migraine Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query The headache you are describing is typical of migraine. Here is what I suggest to you 1. Tab Naproxen taken twice daily is the ideal painkiller for these headaches, please dont take it for more than 3 days 2. You will need to be on migraine prophylaxis (drugs given to prevent headaches), tab flunarazine taken at night for two weeks can prevent such headaches from coming daily. 3. You will need to visit a neurologist for a clinical examinationand a CT Brain, ideally all patients who have migraine should get a CT brain done to rule out an organic pathology. You will also need to visit an opthalmologist for vision and ENT for hearing tests as these are the most common reasons for headaches Some tips to prevent headaches are 1. Eat regularly, prevent starving. Hypoglycemic headaches are common 2. Make sure you get good quality sleep, atleast for 6 hours a day 3. Do not watch TV in a dark room 4. Drink 5 to 8 glasses of water per day, dehydration can also cause headaches I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me. Regards