Suggest treatment for temper tantrums in a child

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
I have kid of 4.5 Yrs, he is little arrogant these days and often dont listen to our advice and replies, my teacher wants me to this way. I am little confused how to manage and adhere my upbringings.
Posted Wed, 11 Jan 2017 in ADHD

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like temper tantrums or icon following - I have suggested remedies

Detailed Answer:
Hi....I understand your concern. It's not only you, but many parents with kids between 4-7 years age face this.

This can occur because of 2 reasons -

1. The child is seeing his teacher as a model icon and wants to follow whatever s/he says to the word. This usually results when the time spent by the teacher is more than that of the parents (as human interaction and contact). The only way you can change this is by spending more time with the kid and turning yourself into his model icon.

2. The second possibility is temper tantrums which results in this adamant behaviour. I have suggested in detail on how to go about with this.

Tantrums may happen when kids are tired, hungry, or uncomfortable; or because they can't get something (for example, an object or a parent) to do what they want. Learning to deal with frustration is a skill that children gain over time.

This is what you can do to avoid or prevent tantrums -
1. Give plenty of positive attention
2. Try to give toddlers some control over little things
3. Keep off-limits objects out of sight and out of reach
4. Distract your child
5. Help kids learn new skills and succeed
6. Consider the request carefully when your child wants something
7. Know your child's limits

Regards – Dr. Sumanth