Suggest treatment for tear duct infection

General Surgeon
I was diagnosed with a tear duct infection - prescribed cephalex 250 mg . have been on them for 5 days - 4 per day 6 hours apart. there is no relieve yet - eye watering - but excessive head ache above right eye. was diagnosed 32 years ago with grave's disease - on synthroid.
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Analgesic will be beneficial Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Infection of nasolacrimal duct or tear duct requires the following management apart from antibiotics 1. Massage of the duct: roll finger from lateral to medial side over the lid. It will help in drainage of the contents. 2. Hot water fomentation: Dip a soft cloth in hot water and gently apply over the site of pain and over eyelid after closing eyes. 3. Analgesic like Ibuprofen will very much give much needed relief from pain. 4. Instillation of ciprofloxacin eye drop every 4 th hourly will be useful. I would suggest you to follow the above. In case pain does not reduce even after initiation of analgesic and antibiotic even after 48 hours, do consult your physician for further assessment. I hope it helped In case you need any further assistance will be glad to assist you. Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak K K MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Surgeon