Suggest treatment for syringomyelia

I have a syrinx in my spine and my symptoms are getting worse. I will be getting another MRI soon to check status and am wondering if I need surgery is it important to have a neurosurgeon who has performed many of these procedures specific to my situation?
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: I strongly recommend you consider surgery Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this syringomyelia and all the neurological symptoms it has caused you. Because of a progressive worsening of symptoms, i think considering surgery would be a great idea. Neurosurgeons are all trained to be able to carry out this procedure. I would feel comfortable with you getting managed by a certified neurosurgeon. However, nothing beats experience if you should have the luxury to choose between one who has done many before and one who has not. It is a relatively not as invasive and complicated a some other surgeries involving the brain and spine. I do not think it is going to make a huge difference as to who does the surgery if he/she is a certified neurosurgeon. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.