Suggest treatment for symptoms of gastroenteritis

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Hello, my wife has had a rough night and vommited 10 times in total, she felt nausea and stomach pain . The last few times she vommited it was greenish and watery.No diarreha. This phase lasted all night roughly (8hours ) an since then she feels big fatigue, her joints are aching, headeache and she might have a little temperature. It s been 24 hours now and she still XXXXXXX t want to eat. On the advice of her mom i gave her some water where i boiled dry apricot and dey aplle in it , she get plenty of fluid. Just like to know what else i can do to make her life less miserable, and if this is typical of food poisoning or if it could be something more serious?? She s 27 years old and have no notable disease. Thank you!!
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Gastroenteritis. Keep hydrated. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Your wife is most likely to be suffering from gastroenteritis which is a bacterial or viral infection of the gut. The symptoms usually last 24-48 hours and then will subside. It is important to keep her well hydrated. Boiled water is good and, if possible, encourage her to drink at least 2 litres per day. You could also use rehydration salts which can be bought over the counter from your pharmacist and are mixed with water. They will replace salts and glucose lost with vomiting. Paracetamol may help her aches and pains. Rest as much as possible. Try a light diet when she feels she can take food. Rice or bread would be suitable in small quantities. Ginger-based remedies can help nausea. I hope this helps and I wish your wife a speedy recovery. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA