Suggest treatment for symptoms of concussion

May 2014

I was dropped on my back and hit my head hard a few years ago. I went to the ER, was diagnosed as having a severe concussion and wished the best. Since, I often experience light headedness / dizziness and feel slow when standing or active for long periods. My pupils will constrict when I get this feeling as well. I am a healthy individual who works out 5-6 days per week. What can I do to stop these symptoms? I often feel better after lying down for a while.
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Requires clinical evaluation Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. The symptoms of concussion can stay for a short while such as a few days or remain even for years with slight improvement with time. As you are reporting symptoms which are mildly disturbing, a complete clinical assessment of your symptoms is essential by a neurologist. If required, a CT scan or MRI scan of your brain will have to be done to know any structural problems. Feeling better after lying down can relate to minor balance problems which need to be investigated in detail. Your problems can be treated after doing a detailed clinical examination. If you are having symptoms while working out then please make suitable changes in your workouts after talking it out with your physiotherapist. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek