Suggest treatment for swollen lymph node

Hi my name is XXXXXXX ive had a swollen lymph node prob for over a year but noticed it several months ago I go a ct scan showed no signs of cancer but it hurts sometimes and its off and on in size and im scared its like a hard lump over my gland. I also to antibiotics for a week once, and that didn't help. during the ct scan I did move after the XXXXXXX I have a weird feeling after that XXXXXXX so I moved and got up during the test but I guess she got a picture. I got blood work done lymphocytes we high but over all wbc was normal ? what can this be ? should I get it looked at again ?
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Lymph node biopsy, needle aspiration and exam Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I am afraid a CT scan is not the main exam required to talk of either a cancer or not, although it could give signs suggestive of this condition. The first step is usually a proper clinical review and questioning by your doctor. This is followed by appropriate tests. It is true that a blood work up, generally including a full blood count can be very informative. I still however think a main fundamental test, that could be very informative, which you really do not present the results is what is called a lymph node biopsy. this actually involves removal of part of the lymph node tissue, and sent to a specialist (pathologist) to know if the cells in the mass are cancerous or not. A needle biopsy could be preferred, however depending on the results of a proper clinical review. I suggest you see your family doctor with this option. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Dr Bain
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for swollen lymph node 13 hours later
So usually people have symptoms fever night sweats etc. I don't have them but recently I found out I have a servere dust (mite)allergy can that make it stay swollen also. The gland node is usually always bigger but seems bigger at times then others it kinda hurts when I can feel it swelling but normally no pain .benign fatty rumors or growths are in my fam like I have one on my left shoulder towards my back my mom has one in her groin and her sister has one on her forehead she got that removed said it was benign. I'm just scared of getting all these tests done is there any test I can take that isn't so scary as a ct scan with XXXXXXX ?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer: No worries for now. Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the update, I really do understand your fears and worries. However, from what you describe, I do not think you need to be that worried with respect to a cancer. the clinical scenario is really not suggestive of this. fatty swellings in the body, generally called lipomas, rarely evolve into cancers. they are generally benign as you rightly put it. Considering the fact you got no sweats, To exclude all if the fears, a needle aspiration biopsy and a proper clinical review would be the best of things to do. This would however have very rare chances or being a cancer. Thanks and kind regards ass I do not think you got to be too worried for now. However, just consult your doctor. Kind regards