Ask a Dentist   »  

Suggest treatment for swelling on face due to denatl infection

Hello. I'm 52, taking medications to thin my blood because of congestive heart and afib. My teeth are in various stages of breakdown, inherited condition that I have been trying to address. I floss aggressively after meals and sometime in between meals as necessary. I use arm and hammer toothpaste with orajel and keep a tube of orajel handy to put on teeth and gums that bother me. Had a toothache in lower left quadrant and earliest dentist could see me is on a Monday. Toothache went away yesterday evening and my face was a little swollen and numb in the area of toothache. Woke up this morning and teeth feel fine but my whole cheek is swollen now. Only slight numbness in lips no where else, no redness or pain.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Periapical abscess Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. Thanks for sharing your concern. As per the history posted here it appears that an abscess has developed in your tooth/teeth.This can be well diagnosed with the help of diagnostic x rays. Meanwhile, you can take pain killers after consulting your physician(if required). Please continue maintaining oral hygiene measures until you see your dentist. Please do not worry about the swelling it has developed due to abscess. Abscess can be very well treated by root canal treatment in your case after proper radio graphic evaluation and antibiotic coverage. Also, please do not cover your face on the side of swelling. The numbness is also temporarily developed due the pressure exerted on adjacent nerves. The above symptoms will subside once root canal treatment is started. Therefore please do not worry and continue your oral hygiene measures as much as possible. you can also do warm saline rinses two to three times after food. Please let me know for further query. Thanks. Take care.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for swelling on face due to denatl infection 14 minutes later
is it ok to rub on the area. it gets these pin pricks like the nerves in your feet when waking up after going to sleep.
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Advised root canal Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. yes, you can gently touch the area with a soft piece of cloth seldom, but please do not cover it.Covering the area can generate more warmth and thus increased swelling. Let me know for further query. wish you good health. Thanks Take care
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for swelling on face due to denatl infection 1 hour later
thank you so much for your advice. I figured it was exactly what you described but wanted to be sure in case I should be concerned due to other health conditions. thank you again XXXX
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 23 hours later
Brief Answer: Root canal advised Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. As you have mentioned in your medical history that you have a congestive heart and atrial fibrillation ,therefore in such medical conditions you must visit your dentist as soon as possible. Please note, this is not to worry you but to explain you that, the abscess is infective in nature and it requires treatment soon to avoid spread of infection in blood. Abscess treatment requires drainage through root canal.It always accompanies a course of antibiotic prior to any dental procedure. Meanwhile maintain good hygiene measures as you are already doing and also do warm saline rinses. Hope it helps. Please let me know for further query. Thanks. Take care.