Suggest treatment for swelling on buttocks

I am 65, just fell on wooden stair case in my house - landed hard, now butt check I swollen and very hard, should I use cold or heat on it?I need this information ASAP as I need to treat it now! How long will it take me to get this answer? I wish I would have known because I need the answer now - swelling continues and I want to know if I should use heat or ice?
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Cold compression (ice) Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. The fact that the swelling in your butt cheeck developed after trauma, it could be an inflamation or a contusion. In either cases you need the compress the area with cold applications like ice packs. Any continuing bleed will stop and the inflamation will come down. However this is just as emergency step. At age 65, the fracture neck femurs are very common with such falls and they may initially present as swelling. I have seen many such patients who have had hair line fractures with such fall presenting as swelling. As of now you can apply cold compress but you need to see a doctor at your earliest convinience. You will need some xrays done of the hip to identify any such fractures. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.