Ask a Dentist   »  

Suggest treatment for swelling in the extracted tooth

I had tooth #15 pulled a week ago yesterday. The last 3-4 days I have had throbbing ache in my jaw with swelling. P the pain intensifies after I eat or talk a lot in my jaw muscle. Not sure if it's dry socket, as the actual socket itself is tender, but not overly painful. About 3 months ago I had a root canal go bad and had the tooth below#15 extracted. I then did get a dry socket there and had the OS scrape my jaw bone twice. While the pain right now isn't excruciating, it is very uncomfortable. Should I be concerned, or is this something that will just get better over time?
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could be due to traumatic extraction,dry socket. Detailed Answer: Hello There, Welcome to XXXXXXX Forum, According to your clinical symptoms i suppose that you have developed pain, swelling in your extracted tooth which was previously root canal treated. This could be either due to traumatic extraction, dry socket or any left over root particle in the socket. I would suggest you to consult the concerned Dentist and get a thorough examination of the socket, to rule out presence of any dry socket also take an IOPA radiograph of the socket to see if any presence of left over tooth particle in the socket. I would like to tell you that dry socket is an extremely painful condition in which the blood clot gets dislodged from the socket, also associated with fever and bad breadth, it is treated with clinical debridement and dressing of the socket. Any left over root particle if present can be removed by your Dentist. At home follow this. -Take complete rest. -Take lukewarm saline rinses 3-4 times a day. -Take antiseptic mouthwash gargles. -Take Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug like brufen TDS for 3-5 days, take the complete course of antibiotics prescribed to you. -Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption. -Maintain a good oral hygiene. Hope you find this as informative and helpful! Regards, Dr Qazi Ammara.