Suggest treatment for swelling and fluid retention

Macrodantin had reaction several years ago and have had severe selling, how to treat?
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Drink ample amount of fluids Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using HCM, I would love to help If I understand your question correctly, you have a urinary tract infection, and you have a history of a reaction to macrodantin which is often used to treat such infections. If this is the case, you have a few other options. you can first try to drink lots of fluid, especially cranberry juice, and see if you can clear it on your own. If that doesn't work, you can try other antibiotics such as ampicillin, Bactrim, Cipro or other choices. ideally, your doctor can send urine cultures and find out exactly which antibiotic would work best for you. I hope this answers your question. please let me know if you have any more questions or if I can help you in any way. regards,
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for swelling and fluid retention 25 hours later
The urinary tract infection was 15 years ago, I have swelling and retain fluid. What's the best way to treat
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thanks for the information Detailed Answer: Hi, I am so sorry, but in my first answer I wasn't aware that you were also complaining of swelling. you had a typo and write selling, without a "w" so I thought you meant that your urine was smelling and that you had a urine infection like when you reacted to macrodantin. let me focus on the swelling and retained fluid. at your age, there are numerous possible causes of this problem, some serious and some benign. the most serious possibility is due to heart disease, and if is very important to have that checked by your doctor, if it hasn't already been done. It can also be caused by peripheral vascular disease, which can also cause serous problems. kidney disease can also be a cause, and many other things as well. in order to diagnose it properly, you need to be fully evaluated, by physical exam, blood tests, and urine tests. it is very important to see your doctor because most of these problems can be treated if they are properly identified. I am so sorry that I couldn't help you the first time around because of the misunderstanding. please let me know if there are any more questions that you think I can help you with. Regards,
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for swelling and fluid retention 20 hours later
Drinking water doesn't work it has gone into my tissues swelling . how to treat.
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Please look at my previous answer Detailed Answer: Thank you so much for asking your question, but I cannot emphasize enough how important it is for you to see your doctor as soon as possible. Like I told you before, your symptoms will not be cured by drinking water, and swelling at your age can be a sign if serious illness, sometimes even life threatening illness. The ONLY way it can be evaluated is with a full exam, X-rays, lab tests and possibly an EKG and echocardiogram. Please see your doctor as soon as possible. This is not something that can be treated online. Thank you so much for seeking help here on HCM, but you really need to see your doctor for proper treatment. Let me know if I can be of further help.