Suggest treatment for superficial infective lesion on thumb

I have a place on my thumb that started out very small but has doubled in size in a 2 week period. It is hard and white-ish on top and surrounding it my skin is completely red like an infection. It did not hurt at first but now it is very sensitive and it feels like constant pressure. when I accidently hit it, I feel like my entire thumb is going to explode (needles to say painful).
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Localised infective lesion over the thumb Detailed Answer: Hi Iunderstand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same . You seem to have developed a superficial infective lesion. Now such a lesion over the thumb is extremely painful since the skin over the thumb dorsum is tight and there is not much space for the lesion to spread. It surely needs an early management also. You should start application of an antibiotic cream like neosporin over the affected area twice a day . Along with it, take oral both inflammatory drug like paracetamol twice a day. Give hot compression to the area two to three times a day. I am sure this will help you. If even after three days of the above therapy , the pain continues to increase or if the swelling increases , then you might need a course of oral antibiotics too. Hope it helps Please ask if you need any further clarifications Dr Geetika Paul