Suggest treatment for stress fracture on foot

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
hi I visited with a physio about 1 month ago and he made an assessment that I have a stress fracture in my right foot (location is on the outside of the foot behind the 5th toe). He said that I could still ride a bike etc but no running and in about 2 months it should heal itself. I am over one month in and nothing has changed, my concern is that maybe I need to get the weight off the foot altogether perhaps or wear a moon boot perhaps? What are your thoughts please on what I should be doing to allow the stress fracture to heal asap?
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Keep your foot up as much as possible . Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Stress fractures in the fifth metatarsal bone (on the outer side of the foot) take longer to heal. The longer you can stay off your foot and let it heal, the quicker the healing will take. Don't even think about running or playing ball or exercising until it is completely healed. Keep your foot up as much as possible and make sure to get adequate sleep. Most healing takes place when you are sleeping and there is extra energy from the lack of use of other body functions. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care