Suggest treatment for soreness in anus

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
To Whom it may concern. I am a 40yr old male which started to practise Anal masturbation at a young age of 13. I more or less did it once a week. I started masturbating with smaller objects and later with bigger objects such as vibrators and dildos and even vegetables. The last time I did it was 7 months ago with a meat sausage. Since then I have discovered that my anus area is always sore or rather uncomfortable. There is no bleeding of any sort, just an uncomfortable feeling and sometimes cramps in the area. I have squatted over a mirror to see what it looks like and the anal walls are always a bit open with no piles or any blisters. I have stopped this habbit of mine completely and will never do that again because of the health issues. I actually never realized what damage it could do and never took it seriously. Please give me advise on what I can do and let me know if it will heal in time.
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: This will heal. Detailed Answer: Hi. Good that you have stopped. It will heal in time.As per your own statements there is not much of a problem except soreness, uncomfortable feeling and cramps. If there are no wounds , just do not worry; everything will be fine. Have a normal diet. Sit in a tub of warm water twice a day. Do not add anything to it. There is nothing much to be done other than pelvic floor exercises if you feel the area is patulous which a physiotherapist will teach you. This will heal in time. I would like you to visit a Surgeon just once to confirm the local condition and examination of the anus and rectum. I hope you have no issues of incontinence ( escape of flatus/ gases or stool ) and have a good control over the anal area. Feel free to come back to us if need any further help or clarification.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for soreness in anus 21 hours later
Except for the soreness, uncomfortable feeling and cramps there is also an area not on top off anus but above and under it that looks like it was torn, probably because of the larger objects that was used. Will you consider this as a wound? Will this also heal in time? What about the anus it self that looks like it is hanging out, open and under pressure, you is not tugged in? Will this also go back to normal in time? I normally add fragrance free jelly or Vaseline to the area, but you say I should not? Please explain "patulous" which a physiotherapist will teach me. I do not have accidental stool escaping the anal area but sometimes I have controlled gas release, this is quite normal is it not? Is this what you mean to have control over the anal area? Please explain "incontinence".
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Good- that you have no incontinence. Detailed Answer: The torn area is called a fissure-in-ano and is developed due to obvious reason of your practice. That heals well. ''Patulous'' = means, the way your exactly described hanging out, and open- but in addition allowing easily anything more than a finger. Physiotherapist will teach you pelvic floor exercise. ''Incontinence''- you do not have as there is no accidental escape of stool and flatus. Jelly or anything else is never needed, in fact can cause dermatitis, so I have requested you not to use it. So far so good. Do not worry if you do not have any other problems. Everything will be fine over 3 to 6 weeks. Let me know if you need clarifications. regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for soreness in anus 5 hours later
The soreness, uncomfortable feeling I am having is going on for about 7 months already, that was when I decided to stop doing it. Hopefully this is not a sign of bigger problems because you said it would take only 3 - 6 weeks for it to get better. I will however do what you recommended and it will then hopefully be fine in about 3 to 6 weeks. Thank you for the advise!
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Get relaxed, get checked once by the Surgeon also. Detailed Answer: Hi. Gone through the photos also. It looks to be a mild prolapse and may be small piles on straining and it shows the red areas on non-straining photo as fissure I described. Please stop using any local applications of jelly or Vaseline. You can have a sitz bath twice a day with plain water- wipe the area dry with a cotton cloth or hair dryer. The mild secretions, sweat and local applications might have given you soreness. Have a healthy diet, avoid the ones if you have noticed to increase soreness on passing stool. Exercise regularly. If still you have some doubts I would advise to get checked by a Gastroenterologist-Surgeon as He will examine and will exactly know the degree of patulousness, prolapse, any internal injury by doing proctoscopy and may advise investigations and a course of antibiotics and supportive therapy. Actually I want you to relax as this has a direct bearing in the outcome .