Suggest treatment for sore throat

ENT Specialist
Hello Doctor, I am XXXX aged 30 years male .Since a week now i have pain in throat while swallowing only in the night and early in the morning as i wake up.After i brush my teeth and try to remove the thick flame , i am fine the whole day.I did try my regular antibiotics- Zifi 200 mg , however it is not working .Kindly advice .
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Use PPI with mucolytics and antiseptic gargles Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. You are having throat pain at night and in the morning with thick phlegm and have already taken ZIFI 200mg with no relief. Please use a mucolytic preparation like Acocontin 75 mg (Ambroxal) once daily along with Omeprazole 20 mg (Ocid) twice daily. Also use Lidocam gargles after diluting it in 1:1 ration with plane water. If Lidocam is not available at your place, use hexidine gargles after diluting it with water. If you are not having any fever and have already used ZIFI, there is no need to use an antibiotic. Please use above mentioned medicines for 7 days and gargles for 3 weeks. Avoid excessive tea, coffee and oily, spicy & junk food. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for sore throat 29 hours later
Thanks for your quick response. I have started the medication advised by you. I have this pain in throat when i try to yawn as well.Kindly advice if this is the part the same issue which will get resolved with same medication.Also i have to try hard to get the thick phlegm out from my throat early in the morning as soon as wake up.Kindly advice
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Descriptive Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. It can be partly because of the same problem and partly because of issue with your muscles around jaw with can become a bit stiff in infection around the throat region. Should go with in few days. You can add an analgesic like paracetamol for 2-3 days to the medicines I have already written. The thick phlegm should become thin with time with acocontin and steam inhalation. Feel free to ask another query. Regards