Suggest treatment for soft tissue strain due to injury

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
i was walking and i fell. my upper left just gave up and i couldn't lift myself. when i start to walk again my upper legs hurt a little and when i stand still and rest is ok. what is the cause for that?
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibly a soft tissue strain. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Based on your description of symptoms, I suspect that you might have suffered a soft tissue strain (possibly muscle strain) due to fall. Generally, this is a self limiting condition and heals spontaneously with time. The treatment guidelines for your condition are as follows - - Take Rest and do not do any activities that cause pain till the acute pain subsides - Apply ice or a cold pack to the painful area for 15 to 20 minutes, 4 times a day for several days. Wrap the ice or cold pack in a towel. Do not apply the ice directly to your skin. - Take ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or acetaminophen (Tylenol) to help relieve pain - Use moist heat fomentation when you are returning to physical activity. Then use it before stretching. Gentle heating can help loosen the muscle - Gentle massaging of the painful area with a painkiller cream may provide swift relief - When the acute pain is gone, start gentle stretching exercises. Stay within pain limits. Hold each stretch for about 10 seconds and repeat 6 times. - Physical therapy may speed up the recovery process. Therapeutic modalities such as Ultrasound, Massaging and specific exercises will be helpful. If your symptoms are not resolving with the above measures, consult an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation and management. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards