Suggest treatment for soft tissue injury to the knee?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
I was hit at the top of knee with a slapshot, now have a bump and immediate pain upon touch and skin is "tight" when knee in bent. Injury is 3 weeks old. Visible swelling still, have had 3 prior minisal surgery on knee
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Most likely soft tissue injury Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. It is possible that you have sustained a soft tissue injury to your knee 3 weeks back. If there was no intense pain and swelling, a bony injury is less likely. Trauma to the knee can give rise to bleeding, fluid accumulation, tendon and ligament injuries, meniscal injuries and also inflammation of bursa (bursitis). It is important to know if there is any ongoing acute inflammatory process which is going on in the knee. This can only be confirmed after consulting your doctor and doing imaging investigations as necessary. Please avoid intense physical activity involving your affected knee. Treatment options may vary from a conservative approach for mild symptoms to a surgical approach including fluid aspiration if you are in severe pain and discomfort. Wishing you good health and quick recovery. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for soft tissue injury to the knee? 10 minutes later
I have quite a bit of swelling and pain 8/10 to touch. The knee is visably swollen and warm to touch. Have the feeling of tightness on skin when knee is bent.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Acute inflammatory changes Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing back with an update. Sorry to hear that you are in so much pain and discomfort. It looks like you are having an acute inflammation in your knee joint and this requires immediate medical attention. A pain of 8/10 and a knee that is warm to touch are all indicators of inflammatory substances being produced at the site of injury. Please waste no time and consult your doctor at the earliest. Wishing you good health and quick recovery. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for soft tissue injury to the knee? 0 minute later
Thank you I will gosee him tomorrow.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 32 hours later
Brief Answer: Get well soon Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing back. I hope you have had a consultation with your doctor and your knee is doing better. Should you have no further queries, I request you to please close this thread. However, you are most welcome to send in further queries and I will be glad to answer to you at the earliest. Wishing you good health and quick recovery. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek